Monday, March 17, 2008

E.T. phones home

Make it big, make it big, make it BIG!

I love musical theatre. It's a wonderful excuse to be loud and over-the-top. I'm outrageous and eccentric enough as it is, so this is a great outlet for my crahazzy self.

For one, my character Lady Rowena is an absolute nut-case. (And she wonders why she'll never get married). She laughs outrageously several times in the show. When we did the read through, I glimpsed at the bottom of the page to see: Lady Rowena hysterically giggles. My stomach did a flip. I'm used to doing that normally, but in front of everyone? Oh well, I went for it. And boy was it hysterical. The night of blocking, I refrained a little, thinking I over did it. But Will told me: "Can you be more obnoxious?"

Never again will anyone ask me to laugh more obnoxiously. I loved it.

So act like you just drank a full cup of coffee before going onstage. Pump it up!

On a side note, if one wears a brown blanket to practices, get ready to be compared to: a bag lady, Anne (&Margot) Frank, Sweeney Todd's crazy wife, and, my favorite: E.T.

1 comment:

Laura said...

You forgot Yente from Fiddler on the Roof