Thursday, March 27, 2008

In Praise of the Understudy

When sitting down to start to design the show program, I usually start off with the cast list. Usually because it's the only thing that's complete at this point--there's still bios that need to be typed, and ads we're waiting for. It was in cobbling together that list, that I realized that OUAM has what is probably the best set of understudies for any show I've ever done! ('cept for those Anne Frank understudies who actually went on during the school preview--but there's a little overlap there anyway)

At some point or another, most of our understudies have done their duty and stood in for their missing counterpart and learned most (if not all) of that person's blocking and lines. All on the off chance that the worst possible scenario should happen. (Though if it were to happen, I'm not too scared about the understudies going on--I have had many a nightmare in the past about just such things...)

So, it's because of this dedication to the show that I salute the understudies. The ones who deserve recognition for all the work they put in so that the show may go on!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This means a lot Will. As you can see above, I had to, just had to, write about my experience tonight. I hope you don't mind the length. (Euck! Reading!)